People often assume that entrepreneurs automatically make excellent managers. After all, you need to have confidence, drive, and a clear sense of direction for your business to succeed. If you have all of that, then you should instinctively know how to manage the people you rely on for the success of your business.
Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is that leadership doesn’t come easy to everyone. It could be that the very thing that makes you so incredibly self-directed is the very thing that makes it difficult for you to direct and lead others. Leadership is a delicate juggling act, and it’s not one that everyone is born to:
- You need to establish yourself as the authority without coming on too strong;
- You need to be approachable and attuned to employee needs, without becoming everyone’s friend;
- You need to foster open and honest communication, without encouraging insubordination;
- You need to effectively delegate, but also know when to jump into the fray;
- You need to focus on the big picture, while also being aware of the day-to-day minutiae; and,
- You need to be able to handle difficult situations, but also know when to ask for help.
It is a rare individual who possesses all of these qualities without going through at least some form of training. This is one of the many reasons why leadership training can be very beneficial to your business. Think about how many of the 6 characteristics above describe you, and join us tomorrow when we cover some of the benefits of leadership training.